Location: Remote, US
Position Type: Full-time
The Senior Editor will manage the entire editorial process from concept through completion for a variety of literacy products. Titles include literacy instructional materials and lesson plans as well as teacher education books designed to build an understanding of the science of reading. The Senior Editor will work closely with authors who are literacy experts, guiding them through the editorial process and ensuring products meet the desired goals, stay within budget, and deliver on time.
- Own the quality of a book, working closely with the book’s author, signing off on manuscripts for production, and approving final layouts that are ready for press
- Be the primary contact for 95 Percent Group’s external authors
- Edit manuscripts for factual accuracy, grammar/punctuation, and adherence to style guidelines
- Work closely with Project Management to establish schedules
- Manage several editorial projects concurrently
- Manage a small team of internal and freelance editorial resources
- Collaborate with graphic designers on book layout and design
- Establish and follow best-in-class editorial practices
- Recommend editorial tools and processes that improve efficiency and quality
- Become familiar with our authors’ book contracts and agreements
- Work with Operations team on product specifications, including component lists, page counts, and trim sizes
- Support other editorial activities of the organization, as appropriate
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5+ years as an editor in the educational field
- 2-3 years of experience managing others
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, education, or commensurate experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly skilled in time management, author management, and organization
- Ability to consistently meet or exceed deadlines
- Deep familiarity with book production and printing processes
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and other style guides
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
95 Percent Group is a leader in literacy instruction across the U.S. The company offers professional development training for teachers and administrators as well as print and online products to assist teachers in unlocking the power of literacy for every child. 95 Percent Group’s comprehensive educational consulting, professional development, diagnostic assessments, and instructional materials help schools deliver instruction that consistently and significantly increase reading achievement.
The company was founded in 2005 and is based in Lincolnshire, IL (northwest suburban Chicago). Its customers are primarily school districts across the U.S., and they are served by consultants who travel for on-site training as well as through online training. The company currently has over 120 employees.
95 Percent Group has a fully engaged and highly committed leadership team who cares deeply about our mission. We’ve hired the best from inside and outside the industry. This is a tremendous opportunity to join a company positioned for continued significant growth. An added plus is knowing that what you’re doing every day is making a significant difference in children’s lives. Come work with a group of smart, fun, passionate professionals who value creativity, innovation, and making an impact.
95 Percent Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.