Vocabulary Surge: Level A™
Who is it for?
Vocabulary Surge™ is for classroom teachers in grades 2–8 who provide instruction in Language Arts, science, and social studies in upper elementary, middle school, and junior high. It can also be used by teachers who work with students receiving special education, English Language Learners, and intervention groups.
How It Works:
Vocabulary Surge™ is offered as a series of two levels with increasingly more difficult morphemes. Level A (grades 2 and up) introduces the concept of word parts and guides students in examining the meaning and structure of high-utility word parts in order to build the most words in the English language. Levels B is more difficult and addresses content areas in higher grade levels. Each book can be used separately because Level B includes a review of important roots and affixes covered in Level A.
Level A Lessons include:
- Lessons 1–2: 26 compound Anglo-Saxon words
- Lessons 2–3: 90 Anglo-Saxon words with inflected endings
- Lessons 4–10: 68 most common affixes—200 Anglo-Saxon words with affixes
- Lessons 11–16: 48 common Latin roots—200 Latin words
- Lessons 17–20: 37 common Greek combining forms—225 Greek words
Teacher’s Guide includes everything you need to begin your instruction:
- 5-day lessons
- 20 weeks of instruction
- 15 minutes per day
- Interactive whiteboard application and PowerPoint® presentation
- Downloadable Student Worksheets
- Word Lists
- CCSS Alignment Chart
Vocabulary A Sample